Why make a Patriot Pro clone?

I'm starting to rethink one of my 2023 rocketry projects.  Years ago I bought a 3" body tube and nose cone from North Coast Rocketry (when it was a part of Estes, ~1998) with the idea of building a Patriot Pro clone using a 4 X D12 engine cluster.  However, after reading a history of the Estes Pro Series on Ye Olde Rocket Forum I realized this was silly.  The excess weight of the four engines would make this a marginally stable rocket which would be unlikely to go very high, even on 4 E12 engines.  Four D engines = 1 F engine; four E engines = 1 G engine, but four E engines have a high likelihood of at least one of them experiencing catastrophic failure (CATO) and I can buy anything up to a G engine without Level 1 certification from Apogee and other vendors.  A better use for this body tube and nose cone would be to build a clone of an Estes Leviathan, with a 29 mm engine mount capable of taking Estes E & F engines and larger AeroTech engines (up to G).  A company called Launch Lab Rocketry sells a conversion kit to make a Leviathan out of an Estes Big Daddy kit, but why spend $30 or more for a rocket just to use the body tube and nose cone when I've already got what I need to build a 43" tall Leviathan?  I'll just buy some laser cut plywood centering rings for a 29 mm engine mount along with four plywood fins, use the 24" nylon parachute I just bought from Estes and I've got a new rocket.  The plans for the Patriot Pro look cool, but I've been stalled trying to hand cut the centering rings to accommodate four 24 mm engine tubes.

The Leviathan was 41.5" tall with a 3" diameter, and sold from 2012-2015 as a Pro Series II rocket, with a projected altitude of 1500 ft on a G80-7T engine (a discontinued Estes engine).

My version will be a couple of inches longer (43"), but should be a great rocket for larger fields and larger engines.  I'll order the fins and centering rings from EBay and should be able to complete this rocket in the spring.  I'm not sure whether I'll match the original color scheme or not but I definitely a) need to make it visible and b) need to use the JLCR to control rocket recovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D printing a rocket no longer produced using OpenRocket

Resurrecting my X-15 with my scratch STRETCH X-15

Building my SpaceX BFR