Looking forward to a new year ahead

 I've been inactive of late, dealing with several losses in my family, but am looking forward to the new year.  Among my 2023 New Year's resolutions are:

My younger daughter (and fellow geek!) gave me a Jolly Logic Chute Release (JLCR) for Christmas!  This is a really cool gadget that allows me to launch rockets higher but control when their parachute opens so they don't drift to Kansas.  It is 1.2" wide and will fit in most of my recent rockets, including
  • Super Big Bertha
  • Excalibur
  • V2
  • Silver comet (an oldie, but one of my favorite 2.6" diameter rockets)
  • Fat Boy (maybe; the compartment is pretty tight)
  • Pathfinder
Another recent development was the Estes 2023 catalog came out a couple of weeks ago.  I feel like Steve Martin from "The Jerk" when he's so excited that "the new phone books are here!"  The reason I was excited is that one of their bigger rockets had been back-ordered for ~3 or more months and I thought they might discontinue that product line (Pro Series II).  Instead, the new catalog shows (starting on page 54) they're adding three new PS II rockets to their product line ("available later this year").  Also, the rocket I wanted was finally restocked a couple of days ago so I ordered one to build this spring.  It's a 3" diameter rocket with a large nylon parachute that should fly at least 1100 feet on an F15 engine, and will definitely require the JLCR to get it back safely.

What's next to build?  I'm either going to put together the new rocket or maybe my North Coast Rocketry Big Brute, a 4" diameter beast I've had sitting on my shelf for a couple of decades.  I may start with something simple like my vintage Estes Mean Machine (79" tall) or my Estes Solar Sailer II from the early 1990s (see https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-solar-sailer-ii-by-bill-eichelberger.html for review).  I've also got an Estes V2 - 1/19th scale Model #1952, E powered, 4" diameter, 33" long rocket from 2000 and the Estes Mercury Atlas (discontinued in 1999), but both of these are more complicated to build so I will probably save them for after I've built (and launched!) a few more.  I did promise my wife I would try to get through my "archives" of old kits and I have made considerable progress (V2, Super Big Bertha, Pathfinder, Fat Boy, Patriot, Space Ship One, BullPup 12D and finishing the Executioner).

Other projects planned contemplated for 2023 include (in no particular order):
  • Building my Patriot Pro clone (3" diameter X 43" with a 4 E or 4 D engine cluster).  I will need to order precut plywood centering rings and fins to finish this.  OpenRocket predicts 866' on 4 X D12 engines and 1478' on 4 X E12 engines (simulation below).

  • Building an SLS with fall away boosters (modeled in OpenRocket; simulation below)
    This will require some 3D printing of an SLS nose cone (at our local library, for now).  Apogee offers the strap-on booster pods which fall away and have streamer recovery, making this more feasible.  I'd want to use clear plastic fins for the best visual effect.

  • Building a clever 3 engine booster rocket from old Estes plans (1968), inspired as a tribute to Ukraine (simulation below); OpenRocket predicts 1130' on C6's in the booster and a B4 for the second stage but it's too skinny for the JLCR so this would have to be reserved for an open field/club launch.
I just discovered that laser cut fins are available, which greatly increases the likelihood of this rocket getting built!
  • I may break down and buy a new rocket from Apogee that comes with an interchangeable engine mount so you can switch between launching with a single engine or a cluster.  It will go ~3000 feet on a large engine or ~1600 feet on three E12's.
Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D printing a rocket no longer produced using OpenRocket

Resurrecting my X-15 with my scratch STRETCH X-15

Building my SpaceX BFR