R.I.P. Astrocam!

It was a beautiful clear Sunday afternoon so I decided to launch some rockets. My wife (and dogs) agreed to come watch me launch for an hour.  First to launch was my Astrocam on a C6–5 engine.  I carefully packed the wadding, folded the chute and turned on the video camera that I left charging for four hours this morning. I angled the rocket slightly into the wind, which was blowing at about 6 to 10 miles an hour from east to west.  The launch was great, but I lost sight of it (below). OpenRocket estimated it would go approximately 900 feet high on a C6-5, and I lost track of it (even with tracking powder in the chute).  We finally spotted it floating on the parachute and then it drifted west of my position and over the Junior High, never to be seen again.  ;-(  

I walked around for 20 minutes then drove around for another half hour but without any luck.  I had written my phone number on the nose cone but, unless a neighbor finds it and calls I’ll never know if the video recorded on this my fourth try...



I launched Astrocam in November without getting the video to work, and had launched it a couple of times before.  I was going to contact Estes about a replacement video recorder if this didn't work but now I won't know.  I guess I should have gone with a smaller engine (B6-4) or waited for the wind to die down.  I even wore my NASA "Failure is not an option!" T-shirt but it didn't help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D printing a rocket no longer produced using OpenRocket

Resurrecting my X-15 with my scratch STRETCH X-15

Building my SpaceX BFR