A cool Sci-Fi rocket: Luna (from Destination Moon)

In my excitement about working on the X-Wing I forgot to describe my other project after fixing my printer nozzle.  I stumbled across Luna (from Destination Moon) model rocket by Works-Of-Claye on Thingiverse.  It's a small rocket, using a B or C engine, but the author admits he hadn't flown it at the time he shared the files.  I was attracted to this rocket because it was featured in the 1950 movie, Destination Moon and I'm a sucker for retro looking SciFi rockets (like the Silver Comet).

I made some modifications to what the author's design, including adding a base to the nose cone in Thingiverse so it slipped into the body tube instead of having to clamp onto the top of the body tube.  

Using Tinkercad to add a base for the nose cone

I also modified the gcode for the lower body to pause and change filaments to print red tips on the fin pods.  I printed the baffle and a screw on 18 mm engine retainer using PETG for heat resistance.

Printing the red tipped pods

I ran an OpenRocket simulation, based upon the final printed weights and approximating the individual fin shapes (without pods).  To improve stability I added 1.25 oz of lead weight to the nose, and OpenRocket now predicts a stable flight to 315' on C6-5.



OpenRocket simulation of Luna in flight

The designer included a clever engine baffle, which goes at the top of the engine tube, connecting the engine tube to the main body tube.

Engine baffle to divert hot gasses

Cutting the engine tube to fit

Gluing the engine tube into the main body tube

Engine tube and body tube in place, ready to glue on the top body shell

Cleverly, the designer incorporated the launch lug inside the outer body shell.  He designed holes in the bottom of the body to use a paper clip or something similar to hold the engine in place, but I found an 18 mm engine retainer and 3D printed that using PETG.  I glued everything using epoxy, added a shock cord, no need to paint it because it's ready to launch!

Luna on the shelf ready to launch!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D printing a rocket no longer produced using OpenRocket

Resurrecting my X-15 with my scratch STRETCH X-15

Building my SpaceX BFR