First foray into 3D printing

No, I don't have a 3D printer but my local library has two Prusa 3D printers and allows patrons to upload files for remote printing.  I'd tried printing a camera holder a year ago but didn't use that for anything except to understand the process.  I found plans as an STL for a Gemini capsule on JimZ's site and uploaded the file, Gemini_NC.stl, to my library.  A few days later I got an email that the part was ready to pickup and that I owed $2.77 for the printing!

I noticed the stuff around the tip of the capsule was loose and would turn and came off, so started gently scraping off the excess and stuff inside the hollow bottom (at top of the paper towel below).  It actually looks great and will fit inside a BT-50 body tube after a little sanding.  The cleaned capsule weighs 5/8 oz (19 gms) without the cap I still need to print.

I just uploaded the base cap that glues into the capsule and allows me to attach the shock cord and parachute (it was ready a few hours later for $0.94!).  


I might end up building a Gemini Titan, the K-21 with a two engine cluster using plans from JimZ's site (below).    It needs clear plastic fins, which I may be able to get 3D printed or just use removable plastic fins (like these for the Saturn V).  I'll post something new when I decide to put this new capsule to use!

The new version of OpenRocket includes the ability to export parts for 3D printing, and they've just released a tutorial on how to use those features.  I may start exploring other rocket designs and things I can do with a 3D printer using OpenRocket.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D printing a rocket no longer produced using OpenRocket

Resurrecting my X-15 with my scratch STRETCH X-15

Building my SpaceX BFR