Finally building my first V2

This is a Skill level 4, D powered Estes kit. #1904; a similar current kit (#3228) sold for $26.99 in 2020.  There was an original 1904 kit listed for $70 at https://www.launchlabrocketry.com/shop/the-vault 9/22/21.  I found my original Commonwealth receipt from when I purchased mine for $29.99 on 7/6/2000.


I’ve always wanted to build a V2, not because of it’s use in WWII but because it was the basis, after the war, of jump starting the American space program.  As such, I spent a lot of time looking at different paint patterns for the V2, since I didn't want to do a camouflage pattern for war, before settling on the final yellow and black scheme.  

I bought this kit in 2000, but it was a reissue of an earlier kit from 1984 (and has since been re-reissued).  They included the original 1984 20-step instructions with a cover page describing the new engine hook they provided and a few other minor updates.  This kit was designed to fly on a D12 engine, but I decided to modify it to also fly on a 24 mm E engine.  At first, I thought I would just swap the D hook for a longer E hook and engine mount tube but the hook I had was too short!  I bought the Estes “Engine Mount Kit for D & E Engines” (47776 03159), and it came with the 4” X 24 mm engine tube but the hooks were no good.  My solution was to cut ~1/8” off used D engine with a hack saw and then use an E9 engine to push it in place as a retainer (with glue).  I attached the too short “E hook” for the retainer hook by glueing a shroud over it but NOT allowing the clip to go through wall because it would block the longer engines.  I weighed the modified retainer and it was less than 1 gm.



This is a big rocket.  It’s 2.6” in diameter and 22.4” tall with an 18" parachute, but it’s shape makes it seem bigger.  I liked this kit because it had through-the-wall fins, a “boat tail” curved back end, and a classic shape.  It reminded me a lot of the Silver Comet my daughter gave me in 2000.  After the fins were attached, brushed with wood putty and sanded, I primed it, sanded some more and then painted it a bright yellow (using Rust-Oleum Sunburst Yellow).  I then taped off half the fins and half the body to give a ~checker board pattern, and painted the untaped areas black (with Rust-Oleum Black).  I’m really happy with the final result.



Because of the modifications and to double check the RockSim file I weighed the different components and finished rocket:
  • Assembled engine mount 5/8 oz (20 gm)
  • Trimmed boat tail 7/8?oz (25 gm)
  • Shock cord 1 gm
  • Assembled rocket (w/o glue for fins) 4 3/8 oz (127 gm) unpainted or primed/filled; 4 7/8 with clay (140 gm)
  • Glued, filled & sanded weight before priming:  5 1/4 oz (149 gm)
The box says the rocket should fly “over 750 feet” on a D12.  Due to the curvature of the boat tail, OpenRocket can’t simulate the curved fins.  The weights in the RockSim files I downloaded for the #1904 V2 model are two or three times as much as my finished weight so I think a D12 will reach somewhere around 700 feet and maybe an E9 will reach 900 or 1000 feet.  This is where a licensed copy of RockSim would be a huge benefit, I’m sure, but I may just launch it with an E9 and see how high it goes!  The V2 has joined Larry's fleet of rockets ready for their first (or second) flight.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D printing a rocket no longer produced using OpenRocket

Resurrecting my X-15 with my scratch STRETCH X-15

Building my SpaceX BFR